Top Tips for Social Media Engagement
How many people actually engage with the content that you distribute on social media?
Yes, Facebook and the others are always changing their algorithms and making you the small business change the way that you post.
So what can you do?
- Don’t try for clickbait – Facebook has said that they re fighting against spammy tactics. So telling people to share, react with a like or vote on something will not win you any friends in the Facebook algorithm.
- Do think about the time – That is the times of the day that your followers are likely to be online and also have time to engage with your posts. The more engagement your post receives the more likely that algorithms will reward you with more reach.
- Don’t be scared to schedule – Use external scheduling software like Buffer or Hootsuite can really get you very organised and they also have their own analytics tools so you can see your engagement results. You can also schedule your posts on Facebook if you are only using Facebook.
- Do think about your content – Regardless of the type of business you have, there is content you can use. Don’t get stuck and think that it has to be specific to your business. Have a look at the Instagram for My Sassy Business @mysassybusiness_
- Don’t be scared to use real-world events – Think about what is happening in the news, movie releases your audience relates to, or something else that you may be able to tag onto.
- Do think about sharing interesting ideas – Have you seen an article, statistic or piece of info that relates to your followers. Share it and see if they respond.
- Do be funny – Everyone likes a funny meme or lighthearted post, but remember to not offend anyone either. Funny memes can get a good reaction, this equals engagement.
- Don’t forget to review – have a look back at what was popular, recreate or reshape your popular posts for even more engagement from your followers.
- Do use great photos – Images are the reason people will stop scrolling through their feed and look at your post.
- Don’t forget to reply – When you have a comment make sure you respond to that comment, this also increases your interaction rates. The expectation is a response within a few hours so do your best to respond as quickly as you can.
- Do shorten – Posts are not meant to be novels, they need to be a quick reason to engage by commenting or clicking through to read your blog or similar.
- Do use video – Social media loves video and so do your followers if you have video use it, if you don’t then create some. Mobile phone quality is often good enough so don’t be scared to give it a go.
Buzzsumo reported that people love:
- Heartwarming stories
- Statistics that are surprising
- How-to guides
- Bold opinions
Which of these have you used? Remember not to aim for clickbait though!
Ensure that you have a call to action that invites people to tell you some feedback relevant to your business. Something that encourages comment and discussion on your posts. Remember not to be too hard on yourself – not every post will work, you just have to keep trying.
If you enjoyed this blog, make sure you subscribe